PERSEVERANCE IS NEEDED TO LIVE THE KINGDOM WAY OF LIFE
James 1:3 (NIV) – “Because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.”
Question: If faith were a fruit tree; what would the fruit be? (Perseverance)
Definition of Perseverance: To Aspire by the Grace of God, to Patiently and Faithfully, despite difficulties, opposition and delay, continue to pursue your God given calling”
Luke 8:15 (NIV) – But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it and by persevering produce a crop.
No persevering = No crop
Hebrews 10:36 (NIV) – You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.
Being a new Kingdom child of God is a marathon life – it is not how you start that matters – but how you finish. (Perseverance connects your start to your finish)
- From the 1st day you got born again – right up to your last day – the cord that ties both ends together is perseverance.
- It’s all about Steadfastness – patience – endurance (volharding).
Jesus said in Luke 12:43 – “Blessed (happy and to be envied) is that servant whom His master finds so doing when he arrives.” (Busy with the Father’s business).
The story of the rabbit and the tortoise having the race.
- Rabbit asks the tortoise “how’d you do it?” – Slow and steady wins the race.
- The persevering road to success runs uphill so don’t expect to break any speed records.
Hebrews 12:1 (NIV) – “Therefore since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses let us throw of everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”
What are you – a Tourist Christian or a Pilgrim Christian?
A real harmful influence the world has on a Christians is:
- To think anything worthwhile can be gotten at once.
- We think if it can be done at all, it can be done quickly and efficiently.
Everyone is in a hurry
- Our prayers – we want answers now, we so impatient for results
- We read the Word and expect change overnight
- How we as humans love shortcuts
We have developed a Tourist type lifestyle
- We only want the comfortable, nice, the easy, the quick
- It is like taking a brochures at a Travel Agency, looking for all the best spots, best service – paying the least price
- We take the Bible and select all the nice verses
- The feel-good verses
- All the promises that suit us
- But we tend to ignore the ones that make us uncomfortable, the challenging ones, the correcting ones.
WARNING: 2 Timothy 4:3 (Amp) – For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine and accurate instruction [that challenges them with God’s truth]; but wanting to have their ears tickled [with something pleasing], they will accumulate for themselves [many] teachers [one after another, chosen] to satisfy their own desires and to support the errors they hold.
I, as the Pastor was not called to be a Tour Guide.
If you and I are going to become mature and greater and experience a deeper walk with God
- We need to understand we are pilgrims on a journey of perseverance
- You don’t feel like it but do it anyway it may not always be nice or comfortable or easy, but a persevering Disciple presses on and through.
Perseverance: - Greek word used = Pros-kar-ter-aysis
- Means to be earnest toward
- To be constantly diligent (ywerig)
- Oxford Dictionary – To continue steadfastly to persist.
It’s a fact; history has proven that people are successful
- Not because of brilliance but
- Because of perseverance
1) The best way out of every difficulty is through it.
2) The problem with so many Christians – Is that during trying times – they stop trying
3) Falling down does not make you a failure, but staying down does.
Think about Jesus, for 30 years He had to persevere before His ministry started – which only lasted 3 years.
Paul waited (persevered) for 15 years before he started his ministry.
David / Joseph / Moses / Abraham -…. How they persevered in that HIGH calling
How many of you are suffering, burn out, often only after 6 months to 5 years in this ministry.
The slightest little trial or temptation or offence, you want to pack it in, what happened to the love you proclaim you have for Jesus?
We need to be faithful and persevere and God will do the work.
Philippians 2:13 – “(Not in your own strength) for it is God who is all the while effectively at work in you (energizing and creating in you the power and desire) both to will and work for His good pleasure and satisfaction and delight.”
Example of the surfer (Purpose Driven Church by Rick Warren).
- Surfers go on courses how to surf – not how to build a wave.
- Surfers ride the waves that God builds.
- Isaiah 51:15 – “I am the Lord your God, who stirs up the sea so that it’s waves roar.”
- We cannot manufacture the wave of God’s Spirit – create a move on behalf of God – by using gimmicks and programs to create growth.
Man can produce nothing.
- John 15:5 – “However apart from Me, you can do nothing.”
- Only God makes it grow.
- He alone can create a wave - but we must surf that wave.
It is God – working with a persevering Church.
Paul said in 1 Corinthians 3:6 – “I planted, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.”
Psalm 127:1 – If God does not build the house – we labour in vain.
God is building His church with kingdom minded people who are willing to persevere.
James 5:11 (NIV) – As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.
2 Thessalonians 3:5 (NIV) – May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance.