James 2:17 says “Faith without ACTION is dead” It’s about a “FAITH that WORKS”
Sometimes “Faith” means giving up.
Don’t get too excited – I’m not talking about throwing in the towel or taking time out.
I’m talking about giving up all that’s in your hands, i.e. Faith means letting go of everything that’s keeping you from God’s best and living a victorious passionate, overcoming committed life.
What do you have to give up – to go up?
You see, the FAITH WALK is not a life of ease and comfort or smooth sailing.
2 Peter 1:10 (LB) – So dear brothers, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen and then you will never stumble or fall away.
- Have you ever Stumbled or Fallen since you became a Christian?
A working Faith
2 Peter 1:5 (NIV) – For this reason make every effort to add to your FAITH.
Faith is the foundation on which you and I build,
If you could cut your Faith man open, this is what should be on the inside working to the outside
Then Peter mentions them:
- Goodness – excellence of character --John 3:30 Type Character.
- Knowledge – Rom 10:17 – by reading the WORD. The more Knowledge the less shaky
- Self control – it’s a choice – attitude
- Steadfastness, patience, endurance, *perseverance
*[a long obedience in the same direction]
- Godliness – totally devoted to Jesus
- Brotherly kindness – good relationships
2 Peter 1:8 (NIV) – For if you possess these qualities in an increasing measure they will keep you from being ineffective, unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
The devil wants you to give up. He wants us to live in doubt.
1 Peter 5:8 (NIV) – Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
We become a prime target to the enemy when we surrender to Jesus. (Sometimes the devil isn’t after us we are after him…)
1 Peter 5:9a (Ampl) – withstand Him, be firm in the Faith.
It does two things:
- It resists the devil,
- it pleases
Firstly are you sure of this:
God wants us as His children to:
- be strong in the Faith
- live by Faith
- walk by Faith
- talk by Faith.
Do you really realize He has made this possible? Do you realize there are more than 30 000 promises from God to us in the Bible?
Some Promises from God:
- Never will I be alone and without hope – God Himself said, never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Heb 13:5
- Never again will I confess “I can’t”, for I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:13
- Never again will I confess lack, for my God shall supply all of my needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Phil 4:19
- Never again will I confess fear, for God hath not given me the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2 Tim 1:7
- Never again will I confess doubt and lack of faith, for God hath given every man the measure of faith. Rom 12:3
- Never again will I confess weakness, for the Lord is the strength of my life (Ps 27:1) and the people that know their God shall be strong and do exploits*. Dan 11:32
*Exploits = Bold and daring (that’s Faith in Action)
- Never again will I confess supremacy of Satan over my life, for greater is He that is within me than he that is in the world. 1 John 4:4
- Never again will I confess defeat, for thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ. 2 Cor 2:14
- Never again will I confess lack of wisdom for Christ Jesus is made unto me wisdom from God.
1 Cor 1:30
- Never again will I confess sickness, for with His stripes I am healed (Isa 53:5) and Jesus Himself took my infirmities and bore my sicknesses. Matt 8:17
- Never again will I confess worries and frustration, for I am casting all my cares upon Him who cares for me. In Christ I am “carefree”. 1 Peter 5:7
Do you know that every “test of our Faith” always boils down to:
- Do you believe what God has said?
- Every test is linked to a promise. (Find the promise for your need – Believe it – Pray it.)
- It’s when you disconnect yourself from believing (Having faith in) the promises.
- You let go of the anchor and you drift, you become luke-warm, inactive, unproductive, stumble and fall away.
Now hear this:
Luke 14:27 – whoever does not persevere (endure, steadfast, patience, hard work, determination) and carry his own cross and come after(follow) me, cannot be my disciple.
Acts 14:22 (Amp) - Strengthening and establishing the hearts of the disciples; encouraging them to remain firm in the faith, saying, “It is through many tribulations and hardships that we must enter the kingdom of God.”